Based in Gothenburg, Sweden
19 January, 2015
The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human is an exciting and pessimistic pixelated side-scrolling underwater action adventure about exploring the decaying ruins of our species and fighting deadly sea-creatures in search of answers. With hopeless violence as a defining human trait alongside optimistic curiosity, how far will this adventure take you? The focus lays in exploration! story! and boss battles! You will have to observe the surroundings to make your own connections and conclusions which will help you better understand what happened to Humanity and how the Earth lost us. As you encounter and defeat sea-creatures new paths will be unlocked to grant you further access into unexplored waters. It will be up to you to determine if the ruins of our species is a travesty or an inevitable conclusion.
After making Keep Walking EP we wanted to try making something a bit bigger. The only initial idea was that it would be underwater and the player would be a submarine. Once we got the background water and some of the foliege into the game we thought this would be cool and expanded it even futher. Inspiration from Star Wars, Planet of the Apes, Super Metroid and Shadow of the Collosus defined the look, gameplay and story of the game. We incorporated current events and more modern design choices to keep the game from feeling done before. We noticed a lot of rogue-like random generated games were coming out so we decided to make a hyper designed game, where almost every tile has thought behind it. The community helped make this game much better by sucesfully funding the Kickstarter and getting it Greenlit on Steam. As our first commersial relese we are very proud to present The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human.
- Melancholic underwater atmosphere: We really wanted to show the beauty of the sea as well as our influence on nature.
- Exploratory storytelling: The story is mainly told through the art and backgrounds with some textual hints along the way.
- Unique conflict encounters: Throughout the adventure, you will encounter -- much like Odysseus in The Odyssey -- monstrous beasts and challenges that you will have to best.
- Polarized gameplay: It's pretty chill until you've gotta fight for your life!
- We think it's important to bring up global issues that have affected our lives and try to give a different point of view: climate change, terrorism, and technological progress.
The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human [Release Trailer - January 19th] YouTube
The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human - Trailer #2 YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "DreamHack Indie Award" Karlshamm, Sweden, 29 May, 2015
- "Shadow of the Colossus of the Sea... I need more games like this in my life."
- Ben Davis, Desctructoid
- "The combination of the art style and soundtrack makes for a fantastically melancholy, but sinister, atmosphere in the game."
- Jem Alexander, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human is going to be a deep-sea Metroidvania smash hit."
- Brian Hamby, Indieruckus
- "A very interesting game that a lot of players will find fits their taste."
- Mattias Sörbom, IGN
- "We fell in love with the atmosphere in the game immediately and had a hard time stop playing."
- Dreamhack Jury, Dreamhack
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
Available for free from somemusicsite.com.
YCJY is an indie game studio based in Gothenburg, Sweden. in 2014 Christopher and Josef got together and made the game Keep Walking EP. We strive to create unique and interesting game experiences.
More information on YCJY, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human Credits
Designer, Programmer, YCJY
Designer, Artist, Sound, YCJY